Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Also (Read 474 times)
D. Allen Jenkins
Supreme Member

All I got was a rock

Re: Draped Model  (With Audio)
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 1:40am
Print Post  

Norm,

Unfortunately, my friend, I found this one a bit rough around the edges compared to your usual smooth skills. 
Accepting the spondee(s), the meter was short on 3 occassions by my count; but I'm the guy who thought he had 30 poems in CA but found himself short one when he reveiwed them... Embarrassed 

There were a couple of other places where the paint had dripped a little too, and I, as always, have detailed them within the text below,

Doug

Quote:
Draped Model (or Naked Truth) 

In this museum[,] his love does reside 

My scan of this finds an pair of anapests in the line. 

muSEum his Love does reSIDE

I wonder if simply placing does immediatately following museum would work better.

Through secret visits[,] he makes love at will; 
His naked model looks where he does hide 

There is a syntaxical awkwardness here...a couple of alternate ideas: 

His naked model looks where he resides...

His naked model gazes where he hides...

Behind that [the or a] curtain viewing her so still. 

Again, must I teach grammar to the teacher Roll Eyes  Shocked The curtain is not doing the viewing, but the line reads as if it is.  

He, the open book, (not she), stares in, 
Torn, "To be exposed," he is transfixed; 

The gemini spondees have left you hopping on one foot in each line. Not sure if it can or need be changed because the flow is perfect imperfectly. Might I suggest one idea...change book to Tome and gain some alitteration with Torn, To, and Transfixed...

With idealistic beauty 'neath her skin 
Her intuition knows his feeling's mixed. 

I'm missing the intransitive; it reads as if the feelings have mixed some unknown object, rather than being the object of the mixing. 

He's touched and longs to read her with his brush, 
Though spatial and the temporal forbid; 

I don't think the use of adjective as noun works well here, Norm. 
I don't follow this as being "techie", per Michael, for it certainly applies to photography in terms of distance/depth of field, and time.

The artist can do nothing more than hush 
The truth, which through his art [, ...?] his pastels hid. 

This reproduction, same as she was then 
Is sketched and etched into his life again. 

I do think Michael has a point about the move to a "painters" metaphor, but not for the same reasons. My thought has to do with the format of the art work being a photgraph, not a painting. Since Vickie, like myself, is a shutter bug, I'm sure she could help you drop down a stop or two on this and gain an image with more depth. 

Just some thoughts,

Doug

© Norman S. Pollack   

Note: I know about the spondee -- I like it as is just like T.S., Milton and others seemed to like it  ~smile~

IP Logged

BrokenSword

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Well, seems the Firebox is where I get to play, so I'm playing through...

Norm, I've noted with other pieces of yours that you will sometimes use the archiaic 'front-end capping' of all lines and in others, you don't.  This one is surely my example of why you should not do this.  I had to go back too many times just trying to get through the first Q simply because of some missing punct as well as the way you're phrasing.  My initial read didn't net much to like from this because too many issues got in the way.  From a snapshot perspective, it's all there, but the delivery is a mess, imo.  I'll delineate below...

In this museum his love does reside 
>>>upon FIRST read, this is reverse syntaxed; one should be saying this as;
His love resides in this museum.
>>>then, because the next line is capped, I'm confirmed of this until I read further and realize, that line is also corrupted, so I went back to L1 and read over the cap and lo and behold, some sense.  I can see this opening couplet being read/said a couple of ways;
'In this museum, his love resides; 
through secret visits, he makes love at will.
(note; the awkward 'does' doesn't even need to be there and yes, destroys your sonnet filler but not supposed to do this anyhow, are ya?)
or;
In this museum, his love resides 
through secret visits; he makes love at will.
or
In this museum his love does reside--
through secret visits, he makes love at will.
>>>here, I even put back in your reversal because I can see the 'poet emphasis' you're MAYBE making.  In all this, for a first line/first couplet intro, there's too much confusion.  The archaism of capping front ends of all lines stops the rhythm for me and causes bumps.  The reversed syntax isn't a glare until you try to get into L2.   

Through secret visits he makes love at will; 
>>>already commented on this, above

>>>again, more reversed syntax; are you doing this because the picture puts this theme in the old and yon?  Don't like this because it is not adding anyting for me.  If you're going to do this, where's all the thees and thous?
>>>should be said as; His naked model looks where he hides.

Behind that curtain viewing her so still. 
>>>more line caps, more missing punct; should be 'behind the curtain, viewing  her.   
>>>this 'still' is nebulous as you have written it; who's so still?  her or him?  I can read this either way.  More forced rhyme, syntax.  In all, this couplet too, should be written as;
'His naked model looks where he hides so still--behind the curtain, viewing her stillness, also.

>>>I can't even really approximate this because exactly what you were trying for, is not clear.   

He, the open book, (not she), stares in, 
>>>this is the line where I stopped reading and went to pure critique; this line is tortured with the paranthetical and the construction.  No smoothness, openly furthering the confusion for me.  This should be;
An open book, he stared in
>>>you don't even need the reference to her nor the awkward insert of the paranthetical.

>>>again, something which mystifies; why the quotes?  This the title of the pic?  Seems a play on a play of words and I'm not thinking this is helping this piece at all. Again, reconstruction gives;
torn to be exposed, he's transfixed.
>>>should I note the telly nature of the whole piece so far?  Not many seem to care, so twill just be another concept that is laid by the wayside.

>>>I'm pretty sure you know that the 'masters' considered contractions for their forms verboten, so using it here sure seems like a way to make meter.  You've already twisted the meter, so just swap in the 'be' and make it between.

>>>gaaaah, what's going on with this piece?  I must surely be missing something as you are the missing word; are.  So, this line can say;
her iintuition knows his feeling's mixed...ah what? what have his feelings mixed?   
or
her intutition knows his feeling's ARE mixed.<<<in which case I have some sense to the line.

>>>for me, there is already too many paths to go down; the clarity for all its supposed surface lines, is muddled at best.

>>>wait; where did we get the brush from?  No where have you said he's an artist; you paint him as an onlooker, a voyeur.  So, this 'brush' COULD be a hairbrush which is how I first took it; still with that hazy, ah, brush???

>>>and now we go from archiac demeanor and tone to one that is high tech; geez, not liking this mixing at all, Norm; spatial and temporal are soooo techie; you don't have a single word that is commensurate yet in this piece.  Surely you can keep the continuity and find subs.

>>>best line of the lot, imo

The truth, which through his art his pastels hid. 
>>>missing punct, again; the truth, which through his art, his pastels hid.
>>>this piece is a city intersection needing too many signs and lights for direction, methinks.

>>>more missing punct; comma at line's end, minimally; an emm dash where the commas should be would be better, imo.

>>>sound is good

>>>couplet has the required snap; that's good.

Well, the ride was torturous, Norm, the picture that inspired you a very good one though.   

Sorry, but not much else I can say about this, hope to see a revision of this above the original, esp sans the archaism of front-end capping and a lot cleaner delivery re phrasing.

Michael

IP Logged

stargirl

I've been away, but now
I'm back., I think!!!!

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
It was fantastic  to read this.
not only is it a beautiful poem but I managed to learn something new.  I had to look up spondee , if you learn something new every day , the day is not wasted.

well done

IP Logged

duetsdove
Supreme Member

Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2007 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Lovely to hear this read. . .

I like the spondee too. . .in fact, feel it can be quite useful in a sonnet. . .

I'll be back in later. . .

~Ren~

IP Logged

Normpo
Topic Starter Topic Starter
Forum Administrator

Draped Model  - REVISED 03-18 - Name Change Also
Mar 13th, 2007 at 3:14am
Print Post  
REVISED: Thank you all for your input and encouragement to make this better.

Feelings Draped in the Artist's Studio

His studio is where his love abides
Through hidden visits, he makes love at will; 
His naked model gazing where he hides 
Behind that curtain, viewing her so still. 

Her take upon the pose he's placed her in, 
Reveals he is exposed as well...transfixed
By ideal beauty cloaked beneath her skin. 
As model/artist sense their feelings mixed. 

He's touched...he longs to read her with his brush, 
The truth, which through his art he aptly hid. 

© Norman S. Pollack 

ORIGINAL:
Remembered by: "Draped Model (back view)" by  Delacroix -- Date: 1854
================================

www.poemtrain.com/memberfiles/Normpo/drapedmodeldelacroix.jpg

Draped Model (or Naked Truth)

In this museum his love does reside
Through secret visits he makes love at will;
Behind that curtain viewing her so still.

He, the open book, )not she(, stares in,

The truth, which through his art his pastels hid.

© Norman S. Pollack 

Note: I know about the spondee -- I like it as is just like T.S., Milton and others seemed to like it  ~smile~

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2018 at 2:04pm by Normpo »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint